Have you visited your local Houston Museum of Natural Sciences lately? Ya need to! For one, you need to go to the moon ahead of Space City Month in July! And, while you’re snapping away photos of you pretending to hold up the moon, head to InFocus, a new “photographic experience” at HMNS.
Here’s what you need to know before you go!
- InFocus is just an extra $5 per person on top of your admission ticket. If you’re going to another exhibit or just buying general admission, you can upgrade your ticket right at the entrance of InFocus. Or $30 to get into the whole museum and the exhibit.
- Pro tip: Visit Houston has a 40% off your tickets if you get the “Death by Natural Causes” exhibit — you have to redeem in person and the downside is the line for tickets is always SO long. It makes the ticket less than $20 and you add on the InFocus $5 ticket and you’re golden!
- It’s kind of easy to miss. When you walk into the museum — right after they check your ticket — you’ll be overwhelmed by the big moon! InFocus is on the other side of the moon near the nature photo exhibit.
- The experience is four different science-themed rooms — from dinos and space to egypt and deep sea.
- Bring your patience. You have unlimited time to visit, but it is a pretty small exhibit with only four rooms. If it’s crowded, you might need to take some calming breaths — or maybe come back later!
- You’ll probably spend tops 30 minutes in the exhibit if all goes well. So, plan time to see the rest of the massive museum! Highly recommend the Biophilia exhibit — it’s like art meets science.
Now that you have what you need to know — check out some quick deets about each of the rooms! Since I don’t know the names of these rooms — or even if they have names — I’ve named them myself! You’re welcome.
Pretty simple stuff — galaxy projected in a room with a bench and some earth beach balls.
Go Big or Go Throne
Play egyptian queen with an assortment of costumes (a cat mask or pharaoh headdress) and sit on your ancient
Shark Tank Ooh-Ha-Ha
Pretty cool projection room here — complete with bubbling sound. Stuffed sharks and a scuba tank hat are your props!
Your dream come true! A pit full of stuffed animals to play in. My Big Brothers Big Sister little LOVED this one. It wasn’t my fave because it smelled like feet, but it def made for the best photos.