August means two things to me: White Linen Night and Houston Restaurant Weeks! One’s over but the other is JUST BEGINNING! Here’s what else you can count on this month!
Ps. If you do want more on HRW — click here.
I’ll be updating this list of events, so stop by later to see what’s new!
- White Oak Music Hall Open Hall Bash: Wednesday, August 14, from 4:30 to 7:30 pm. Food and fun and music! Let’s jam.
- Welcome to the Neighborhood Party: Thursday, August 15, at 5 pm. Poitin would like to welcome Buffalo Bayou Brewing at this food and beer event! It’s $20 at the door, and go early! BEER, BEER!
- All About That Bubbly at the Houston Zoo After Dark: Thursday, August 15, from 6 to 10 pm. Clink your champagne glasses on the Houston Zoo grounds — three cheers for the lions and tigers and bears, oh my! MY BUBBLES.
- Houston Scavenger Hunt!! Saturday, August 17, from 10 am to 3 pm in THE HEIGHTS. This is the second time around for this fun fitness event (ahem, I won the first round, ahem). Read all about the hunt here!
- Britney Spears Drag Diva Brunch at House of Blues: Saturday, August 17, at 11 am. Houston’s fiercest drag queens pay homage to the princess of pop performing her biggest hits from TOXIC to BABY ONE MORE TIME! HIT ME BABY.
- Craft Pita Grand Opening: Saturday, August 17, from 11 am to 9 pm. Beer samples, drawings, free pita and hummus, and celebrating this new restaurant opened by friends of the blog! See ya out there! YUM!
- Agatha Christie’s Murder on the Orient Express at the Alley Theatre through August 25. One first class ticket to MURDER, please. WHO DUN IT.
- Icons of Style: A Century of Fashion Photography: through Sept. 22. at the Museum of Fine Arts Houston. More than 200 photographs by famous practitioners and lesser-known, yet influential artists present a broad and diverse perspective on fashion photography and its trajectory from niche industry to powerful cultural force. The exhibition surveys the gradual recognition of fashion photography as an art form. WEARABLE ART.
- Heights Morning Market: Every Sunday from 10 am to 2 pm in the Heights! SHOP TIL YOU DROP!
- Third Thursday Bingo Nights at Market Square Park: Every 3rd Thursday from May to October. Do you feel lucky, punk? DO YOU?
- Joystix freeplay Friday: First and last Fridays of the month from 9 pm to 2 am. It’s $15 cash to play allllll the arcade games you’ve ever wanted. More.
Later this month
- Nice Winery Class: Cabernet Sauvignon Of the World. Tuesday, August 20, at 6 pm. Sniff, sip, learn, repeat. Tickets are $69! CHEERS.
- Art Showcase at House of Blues Houston: Wednesday, August 21, at 7 pm. Support 80+ local artists — live performances, DJs, makeup artists, fashion shows, visual artists, and performance artists — at this fun event! Tickets are $25; $35 at the door. Buy tickets by the 14th — after that, sales don’t go to local artists! (Shout out to Kelly Quinn who told us about this event!) SUPPORT LOCAL.
- The 26th annual TC Energy Theater District Open House: Sunday, August 25, from noon to 5 pm. This event not only marks the start of the 2019-20 performing arts season, but it’s also an opportunity to experience Houston’s world-class performing arts scene up close and personal. Free and open to the public, attendees are treated to performances, behind-the-scenes tours, live music and interactive experiences that showcase the upcoming season. Theater District Open House is also the largest day of discounted sales for individual and season tickets from Houston’s eight performing arts organizations: Alley Theatre, Broadway at the Hobby Center, Da Camera, Houston Ballet, Houston Grand Opera, Houston Symphony, Society for the Performing Arts and Theatre Under The Stars. ON STAGE.
- Backstreet Boys at Toyota Center. Saturday, August 31, at 8 pm. OMG they’re back again. PARTY LIKE IT’S 1999.
Oops, missed these:
- Escaping the Myth of Happiness: Wednesday, August 7, at 6:30 pm at Human HQ. Join for some deep discussion on “escaping the myth of happiness”. Their mission is to bring together Houstonians who believe in positivity, kindness, and living with intention. COLLAB.
- Houston-Leipzig at the Movies Presents: The Story of German Beer: Wednesday, August 7, at 6:30 pm at L’Alliance Française, 427 Lovett Boulevard. Flight of German beer and a flick about it too. Email: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org to RSVP. PROST.
- Draft night at Cane Rosso: Thursday, August 8, at Cane Rosso in The Heights. Saint Arnold beer and pizza — what more do you need. CHEERS.
- Grand Opening Weekend for Revolution Studio Uptown Park. Friday and Saturday, August 9 and 10. Free classes at this new studio! SPIN IT.
- Movement by Michelob Ultra: Saturday, August 10, 8:30 am in Buffalo Bayou Park. Bachelor Nation’s Shawn Booth and his fitness friends are coming into town to kick our peach emojis. LET’S SWEAT.