My holiday cheer is maybe getting a little out of hand, but I think I’ll start with a festive poem for this month’s goings on!
It’s finally the holiday season,
and we’ve got more than one reason
to go out and explore
from shows, shopping, and more.
We can drink spiked eggnog and ice skate,
or seem some Galaxy Lights on a nice date.
Whatever the fun holiday festivities you do,
just remember how thankful we are for you!
<3 It’s Not Hou It’s Me
Also! Last year, we added on some New Year’s Eve parties to our events guide! We’ll be doing the same thing this year, so stay tuned for that!
- Christmas Village at Bayou Bend: December 12-30 at MFAH Bayou Bend. MFAH’s annual Christmas Village features 14-acres of gardens covered in lights; a giant tree; hot chocolate, mulled wine, and holiday treats; a themed tour of the historic mansion — what more can you ask! Admission begins at $13. Don’t miss the Christmas Sweater Party on December 16! LET’S SHOP.
- Week of Dressember: December 8-14. Not interested in a month of dresses? This is for you! Wear a dress or tie each day for the first week of December to support the Dressember movement and Houston participants. ONE-WEEK CHALLENGE.
- Christmas Cruises. December 13 – December 21. Join Buffalo Bayou Partnership in celebrating the holiday season with 45-minute pontoon boat rides along Buffalo Bayou! Enjoy festive boat lighting with Santa and Mrs. Claus and hot chocolate provided by Katz Coffee to keep your spirits warm. Tour times are every 45 minutes from 5:30pm to 8:30pm. Get your tickets.
- Outdoor Voices Opening Night Party: Friday, December 13, 6-8pm. The trendy apparel store is launching at Heights Mercantile. Team OV is celebrating with cocktails provided by Dulce Vida and beats by DJ Yonaj. RSVP Here!
- OV Running Club: Saturday, December 14, 9:30-10:30am. Meet at OV Houston for a 2-mile jog through Buffalo Bayou Hike and Bike Trail. Team OV will have #DoingThings hats for joggers at the starting line and DEFINE will be leading a pre-jog stretch. Meet at the finish line for breakfast tacos provided by El Topo Truck, St. Arnold’s Beer and Topo Chico and shopping at the new store! RSVP Here!
- Dressember Houston’s Holiday Shopping Event: Saturday, December 14, noon to 4 pm at Forth and Nomad. Enjoy sips and special holiday vendors at our favorite local store in the Heights for a great cause. SHOP ON.
- LIGHTS IN THE HEIGHTS! Saturday, December 14, from 6 to 9 pm. Bring your beers, your friend, your holiday cheer and your christmas sweaters. Here’s everything you need to know before you go!
- Galaxy Lights at Space Center Houston: Through the end of the year, you can see some out-of-this-world Christmas lights. Tickets are just $20. More here.
- Magical Winter Lights: This 52-day festival brings a fresh, multicultural take on holiday light shows with Texas-sized Chinese lantern sets that display bright and colorful imaginative designs. The light exhibits are accompanied by live entertainment, carnival rides and games, a food court, nightly performances, and many other forms of family entertainment for all ages. Tickets here.
- Space Age Christmas Trees: Immerse yourself in a 1960s Space Age holiday experience at the 1940 Air Terminal Museum. The Exhibit is based on The Evergleam Book and will include graphics along the north and south hallways of the mezzanine, a speaker with music, and a display of 12 of the most highly sought after and rarest of the Space Age Aluminum Christmas Trees. Get tickets.
- Sugarland Holiday Lights: This sparkling wonderland features more than 3 million lights and numerous themed displays at Constellation Field, located in Sugar Land, TX. You can also get some holiday shopping done with a variety of vendors, enjoy great food, and meet Santa! Get tickets.
- Trains Over Texas Exhibition: The Houston Museum of Natural science has the largest indoor scale of the Texas train system–it’s the size of a tennis court! Destinations include oil country salt domes, prairies and wetlands of the Texas coast and state and national monuments such as Enchanted Rock, Pedernales Falls, The Balcones Escarpment and Big Bend National Park. All aboard!
- “Fully Committed” at the Alley Theatre. The show is a one-man comedy about Sam, who runs reservations at a popular New York restaurant. You’ll leave with stitches in your sides and a great admiration for the one and only cast member, Dylan Godwin. Tickets are $47. Get them here.
- More holiday shows in Houston: From classics like The Nutcracker and A Christmas Carol to musical performances like Elf! The Musical and Opera in the Heights, click here for more can’t miss holiday shows.
- Free Gluwein Thursday at King’s Beerhaus: Free hot wine on Thursdays with purchase! More here.
- The Ice at Discovery Green: Open daily through January. There’s something pretty special about ice skating OUTSIDE (!!) and with the backdrop of downtown! More here.
- Winter Flea by Night presented by Green Mountain Energy: Saturdays in December starting at 6pm. Shop it!
- Nogsmas: Your favorite bars in the Heights have a special challenge for you. Eight eggnogs to try! More here.
- Heights Morning Market: Every Sunday from 10 am to 2 pm in the Heights! SHOP TIL YOU DROP!
- Joystix freeplay Friday: First and last Fridays of the month from 9 pm to 2 am. It’s $15 cash to play allllll the arcade games you’ve ever wanted. More.
- Zoo Lights: Through January at the Houston Zoo. Every year during the holidays, the Houston Zoo transforms into a magical wonderland of lights. More than 15 miles of LED lights light up the zoo’s beautiful trees and pathways. More details.
Later this month
- 4th Annual Naughty List 33+ Tap Takeover at Conservatory: Friday, December 20. It started four years ago with the famous Saint Arnold Brewing Company 30 Tap Takeover and progressed each year since, bringing you to this years 4th Annual Naughty List 33+ Tap Takeover, complete with a limited amount of custom glassware for the event. BEER ME.
- Stay tuned for more!
- Dressember Happy Hour: Friday, December 6, 5:30 to 7:30 pm, at Eureka Heights. Come learn all about the organization I’m fundraising for! We’re raising money and awareness about Human Trafficking one dress at a time. CHEERS.
- Holiday on 19th Street: Friday, December 6, from 6 to 10 pm on 19th Street. Think White Linen Night but cooler. SHOP ‘TIL YOU DROP.
- Drag Diva Brunch – Holiday Edition: Saturday, December 7, at 11 am. RuPaul’s Drag Race alum Imfurst hosts this festive show! BRING YOUR ONES. https://livemu.sc/2PbWTES
- Ugly Sweater Pub Crawl: Saturday, December 7, from 5 to 10 pm. Don your ugliest christmas sweater and get yourself a pint! GET LIT.
- Santa Paws at River Oaks District: Saturday, December 7, from 1 to 4 pm. Celebrate the holiday season with your furry friends at River Oaks District. Partnering with PetSet and X we will host a festive afternoon filled with live music from DJ Maddy Rose, activities courtesy of Camp Bow Wow and pictures with Santa! Festive attire is encouraged and best dressed will win a doggie spa day from Camp Bow Wow! BRING YOUR PUPS.