White Linen Nights in the Heights is an adorable little street fair down the historic part of The Heights neighborhood in Houston. It’s patterned off a festival that occurs in the French Quarter in New Orleans every year when people wear their best whites to enjoy the summer and view local art. Whether it’s your first or fifth time visiting this Houston fair here are a few things you should know before you go!
- You must wear white. No matter how cute you think that red sundress is, and how much your boyfriend loves it on you. You must wear white. Linen if possible, but not required. Just trying to save you some serious embarrassment here. Also this is Houston in August so prepare to be hot and sweaty.
- It’s free! From window shopping to people watching, the free entertainment is bountiful with live music, art cars, fashion shows, local artisanal vendors and more. However if you want to shop local vendors and give your credit card some exercise, there is plenty of opportunities to do so. The fun starts early (some places have deals starting at 1 pm!) and lots of local boutiques, antique shops, and artisan booths to check out. Look up some of the attending artists here.
- It’s going to be crowded! Party *technically* starts at 6pm. But people will definitely be there earlier. By 7pm you won’t be able to move down 19th Street. If you want to do some shopping and still have room to breathe, I recommend going early as possible to 19th Street. Once you get tired of the crowds, switching over to White Oak where there’s a big street party with bands and DJ and a bit more room.
- Get drunk. This easier than you think. All of the bars have something cool happening like live music, drink specials, beer tastings, food trucks and more! Looking at you Woodrow’s, Cedar Creek, BB’s, and Lucky’s Pub. Some people even pull coolers around full of beer and just drink on the street. Many boutiques also have cocktails on hand while you shop.
- Parking. You can park in the neighborhoods nearby–be sure to read the signs in case of towing! Or make things super easy and just cab there (see #4).
P.S. We’ll definitely be out and about at #WLN2017. Follow us on Instagram to see where we are; we’ll be handing out #ItsNotHou koozies!!
- Where: 19th Street (shopping) and White Oak (drinking) in The Heights
- When: Saturday, August 5, 6-10pm
- Wear: All of the White