Y’all one of Houston’s most talented and *ahem* whimsical artists is launching an immersive art exhibition for Houston! Known for her signature playful patterns that exude color and emulate nature, she’s taking that signature motif and scaling it up times a zillion.
We all know selfie-spots and photo installations are all the rage right now (see: Balloon Room, Flower Vault, TFTI), and this one is no exception. The Whimsy World by Shelbi Nicole launches on February 9 and is a force to be reckoned with.
Quick Facts about The Whimsy World
- Dates: February 9 – February 28, 2019
- Location: 810 Richey St. Houston TX 77002
- Open: Tuesday – Sunday
- Tickets: $28 – children under 10 are free!!
- The Whimsy World Website
What to Know Before You Go to The Whimsy World
We’ll be going behind the scenes before the opening party to get a sneak peak (stay tuned for more pics!), but in the meantime, here’s everything you need to know about The Whimsy World by Shelbi Nicole.
- Pink Carpet Grand Opening Party is the place to be! Show opens on February 9 and she’s throwing an exclusive event to kick-off the series! The Pink Carpet Grand Opening reception will give guests a first-hand look at The Whimsy World exhibit the night before it opens to the general public. Guests are encouraged to wear their most whimsical attire and enjoy tunes by a local DJ. Valet, wine, beer and hors d’ouevres will all be complimentary at the event.
- Before heading to the event, get inspired! Check out some of the sneak peeks of the construction and what other people are posting on social media. Follow @thewhimsyworld_ on Instagram and connect with the hashtag #TheWhimsyWorld. This will help you coordinate your outfits. Speaking of which…
- Dress whimsically! Expect lots of pops of pink, yellow, sky blue and white! Don’t be afraid to go bold. And bring outfit changes. YOLO. This is your night. You do you! And get the Instagram shot — would recommend colored wigs, glitter, sequins, fur and bright colors!
- Beyonce Bathroom! Change outfits in the bathroom and get inspired by Queen B.
- Be prepared for many themed exhibits. As you walk through the exhibition, different rooms have different themes and are named, well, whimsically: Mellow Lellow, Thingamajig, Woodle Wall, Beebee, Blob Bath, Hap the Pig, and more! See the full list here! Make sure your phone is charged so you get all of the pics. My favorite is the Big Whimsy, which is a combo of all the paintings Shelbi Nicole has done over the years.
- Take advantage of natural light. Exhibit is in a warehouse, so the lighting can be dim. If you go at night, you’ll want to edit your pictures a bit before posting. Take advantage of the skylights and book tickets during the day–you’ll probably miss the crowds as well!
- Stock up on Whimsy World swag at the store. She’s been posting teasers of merc all over Instagram. Definitely the first art installation that I’ve been to with a gift shop! I picked up a cute gift card for Valentine’s day! Also, real art is for sale too!
- You gotta hang out with Shelbi Nicole. She’s a stellar entrepreneur, super sweet and is a Houston fanatic (just like us!). You’ve likely seen her work in EaDo with Hue Mural Fest, the #PolkaDotWall, the #ILoveYouWall, the Kendra Scott in Rice Village, Over the Moon in the Heights, the Mini Murals project on running trail on Heights Blvd, and many other places! Get prepared to get inspired. Read more about her awesome work on her website!
I’ve been in talks with Shelbi Nicole about this project for months, and she expects the team to take 10 days to set up the studio prior to the event (subtext: it’s going to be a production!). I’m so excited to see this Houston artist’s vision come to fruition!
Pingback: 10 Murals to Visit in Houston in 2019 | It's Not Hou It's Me | Houston Lifestyle, Food and Culture Blog
Pingback: Houston Events You Can’t Miss in February | It's Not Hou It's Me | Houston Lifestyle, Food and Culture Blog
Looks so fun.
Looks so fun