I’ve got 99 reasons to suggest State Fare for brunch, but I’ll sum it up with three: Huge portions, tons of flight options and a really cute space.
The eatery, which is just down I10 in Memorial City, boasts a boisterous menu full of southern comfort, Cajun inspiration and, again, really, really, really large portions.
Had the fortune of taste testing a bunch of brunch dishes this weekend with my Napa gals for a mini reWINEion of sorts. Also, completely random and accidental: Anastasia, brunch kween, was there. So, if you ever wondered if we were on the same page or not, there ya go.
Here are all the dishes we tried and what I have to report.
- Mimosa flight. Four not-so-mini mimosas: OJ, pineapple, grapefruit juice and blood orange. All really yum.
- Bloody Mary flight. Four tasters (which together are probably 1.5 the size of a normal serving): beer-based (michalada), gin-based, tequila-based and a normal vodka-based. The gin one has my vote — so different and good.
- Frozen drink flight. Sugary drink lovers unite! Two margs on this one (blood orange and regular lime) plus a coffee drink and a cranberry surprise. This one was the funniest of the flights.
- Jimmy’s Texas red beef Frito pie. Our waiter recommended this one, and we are so glad. Learned that all the items with “Jimmy” in the name are family recipes from one of the owners (and are extra yum).
- XXL buttermilk griddlecake. Aka, the largest pancake you’ve ever seen. So fluffy and amazing. We had to cut this like a pizza.
- Southern fried chicken thighs on biscuits. Yummy, crunchy fried chicken in between biscuits makes for a solid brunch entree. (Note: ended up taking one of the two to go and it reheated v well.)
- Bacon, cheese and onion loaded hash browns. The loaded hash browns are so interesting, and I think I liked this one the best.
- Smoked salmon, dill, cream cheese loaded hash browns. If you’re a bagel and lox gal, you’ll enjoy this one.
- Avocado and street corn toast. Holy avocado toast heaven. A toast with a literal mound of yumminess.
- Big brunch burger. Go big or go home. Two patties on this one and a yolky yummy egg.
- Mac Daddy. You gotta try a mac and cheese from State Fare — those aren’t just for brunch. Loved this one, which was ooey gooey and had short ribs and shallots.
All in all, State Fare won’t help you with your resolutions, but it’s like going to the brunch theme park. 🙌🏼😋