If your New Year’s Resolution to put a step in the right direction and cross more things off your Houston bucket list (or start one!), then you’re in the right place. These events that we’re stoked about in January will have you running, cheering, and making friends along the way! We’ll be hitting up most of them ourselves, so be sure to follow along on our Instagram stories so if you’re out and about you can say hi! We love to meet fellow Houstonians. Cheers to 2018!
HTX Outdoors 2018 Sneak Peak
- When: January 9, 2018, 7-8pm
- Where: Online
- Why you should go: People are always asking us where they can do nature-y things in and around Houston. HTX Outdoors is a fabulous organization that pulls together events for like-minded adventure seekers. This webinar will give a sneak-peek of the events planned for 2018 including some of their favorite places to travel, where in the world they’re planning trips, and what activities are in store. If your New Years Resolution is to get out and do more and meet cool people, HTX Outdoors is a great place to start. Register for the webinar here! And let us know if you go to any of the 2018 events. It’s on my bucket list to get more involved with them too!
Houston Marathon & Half Marathon
- When: January 14, 2017 at 7am
- Where: 26.2 miles of Houston roadways
- Why you should go: 27,000 runners will be hitting the streets to run the Chevron Houston Marathon and the Aramco Houston Half Marathon. Over 200,000 fans are expected to be lining the streets! I’ll be out there running 13.1 miles and hope to see you out there! Here’s the best spots (and parties!) in town to watch the race.
- When: January 19 – 21
- Where: Jones Hall
- Why you should go: The Society for the Performing Arts is bringing the high energy, toe-tapping musical, Kinky Boot to Houston. This Broadway show features popping songs from Cyndi Lauper and tells the story of how a gentlemen’s shoe factory in Northampton ends up reaching the glamorous catwalks of Milan. It’s only in Houston for one weekend! Perfect excuse for a Downtown staycation! Get more details on the show here. PS We’ll be doing a giveaway for a pair of Kinky Boots tickets soon! Make sure you’re subscribed to our newsletter so you don’t miss out!
Ice Skate at Discovery Green
- When: Until January 21, 2017
- Where: Discovery Green Ice Rink
- Whey you should go: Houston doesn’t have winter long, but when we do get that brisk, slightly cooler air, you should totally take advantage of it and go ice skating outdoors! There’s a small rink set up at Discovery Green which is worth the visit for the novelty of ice skating downtown in the semi-tropical environment of Houston. Definitely choose a cooler day to go as the rink has been known to crack when the temperature rises! Also, avoid the weekends (or get there early!) to avoid the lines. Here’s more information.
Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure
- When: January 27, 2017 at 8am
- Where: Allen Parkway
- Why you should go: 1 in 8 Houstonians are affected by breast cancer and Susan G. Komen Houston is committed to finding a cure for the 40,000 women that will die from the disease this year. The Komen Houston Race for the Cure raises millions of dollars in the fight to end breast cancer, thanks to supporters and survivors around the world. You can create teams and sign up for the race here!
- Spin for Gyn. A reader brought this one to our attention! A 3-hour spin-a-thon at Define off Bissonnet. Participants will enjoy a spin cycling class led by professional trainers, food, music, door prize drawings, event t-shirts and sports bags, and more! All proceeds go to support women suffering from gynecologic cancers.