Hey Green Day, sorry, but we’re not onboard with the whole “Wake Me Up When September Ends” thing this year. Tons of fun events going on, and we’re so here for it. From Oktoberfests to art installations, there’s something for everyone!
- Greek Wine Tasting with Stephanie Baird at Nice Winery: Tuesday, Sept. 18, 6 to 8 pm. Wine tasting shouldn’t be all Greek to you! Greek cheeses and nibbles will be served. It’s $69 per person. Cheers!
- Heights Local Run Club: Wednesday, Sept. 19, at 6:30 pm, at Lululemon Houston Heights. God help me, but doing this run club this week! Sure to follow it with beer and/or wine and/or a crepe. Deets.
- Karbachtoberfest: Thursday, Sept. 20, to Saturday, Sept. 22, at Karbach. Music fest meets Oktoberfest. This three day celebration features performances by Misterwives, Tony! Toni! Tone!, Jack Ingram/ Bruce Robison/ John Baumann and more! More.
- The Art of Happy Hour. Friday, Sept. 21, from 6 to 8 pm, at River Oaks District. This is a charitable event featuring one of our favorite Houston bloggers! $25 tix get you a $50 gift card to a ROD retailer. That’s a great deal, obviously, and it’s for a great cause. Fashun!
- UH v. TSU. Saturday, Sept. 22, 7 pm at TDECU Stadium at UH. Cougars and non-alums alike! This is a rare Saturday night game AT home and AGAINST a team we’re sure to win against. I have so many friends who bemuse the occasional, “Oh, I really should make it to a UH game!” We’ll, here’s your chance! Here’s what to know before you go to a Coog game! Tickets start at $18. WHOSE HOUSE!
- Open House, the latest installation from Havel Ruck Projects, is now on view at Sam Houston Park daily from dawn until dusk. For the site-specific installation, artists Dan Havel and Dean Ruck transformed a small house into an interactive public sculpture that nods to Houston’s past and present. The work is part of the Houston Downtown Management District’s Art Blocks initiative.
- Registration is open for Turkey Trot! Use our code for 30% of your ticket to earn your turkey! Code is: “30HOU” and click here to sign up.
Later this month
- Menil Collection Reopening Celebration: Saturday, Sept. 22, 11 am to 7 pm. After a seven-month hiatus, the iconic Renzo Piano-designed main building will reopen with entirely new displays of artwork drawn from our permanent collection. The Menil’s most loved paintings and sculptures will be presented alongside promised gifts, recent acquisitions, and artworks that have never before been on view. More.
Long Meadow Ranch tasting at Nice Winery. Tuesday, Sept. 25, 6 to 8 pm. Founded in 1989, This Napa Valley world-class winery is committed to sustainable, diversified farming, using methods such as homemade compost and solar-powering. Chris will be pouring a selection of their elegant, food-friendly wines, which includes Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Sangiovese, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay and Pinot Gris. Meats and cheeses will be served. It’s $30 per person. Cheers!
- An Evening of Grit and Glamour: Thursday, Sept. 27, from 6 to 10 pm at Majestic Metro. Raise money for breast cancer research at this fun, glamorous event! The theme is old Hollywood — think Marilyn Monroe. Tickets are $175 for a fun time and that goes straight to the cause! Read more, old sport.
- Joystix freeplay Friday: First and last (Sept. 28) fridays of the month from 9 pm to 2 am. It’s $15 cash to play allllll the arcade games you’ve ever wanted. More.
- The Morning After with Houston Press: Saturday, Sept. 29, 11 am. Mimosas, brunch, fun, oh my! Read more here!
- Oktoberfest Houston 2018: Saturday, Sept. 29, 11 am to 6 pm, at The Water Works at Buffalo Bayou. Beerk, polka, contests and more — German Oktoberfest with a Texas twist. Prost.
- Queen Taylor is in Houston: Saturday, Sept. 29, 7 pm. Reputation Stadium Tour at NRG Stadium. Nice to meet you, where you been, Taylor? Blank space in your weekend?
- moonGARDEN instilation in Discovery Green: Saturday, Sept. 29, daily from 6 pm to midnight, until Oct. 7. A series of 22 illuminated spheres transform Discovery Green and the plaza at Avenida Houston into a magical moonscape. Ranging in size from six to 30 feet in diameter, moonGARDEN features 11 shadow “theaters” that tell the diverse, dynamic story of Houston and Discovery Green, as well as interactive works that allow visitors to become part of the experience. This is the largest ever created by Lucion Traveling Light of Montreal. On opening night, see Cirque la Vie and other performances throughout the park, a screening of Moonstruck (1988, PG, 102 min.) and more from 7:30-10pm. Learn more.
- “MAHJ” for a cause: Sunday, Sept. 30, 9:30 am at Houston Marriott Energy Corridor. A day of fun and games as they test their skills in a Mah Jongg tournament and play to raise funds for type 1 diabetes.
- moonGARDEN’s Moon Dance: Sunday, Sept. 30, 7:30 pm-10pm. Bring your date for “Moon Dance” a romantic evening at moonGARDEN. After a stroll among the magical moonscape, complete the evening with ballroom dancing lessons, poetry buskers and surprises. Learn more.
Dang, missed these
- Joystix freeplay Friday: First and last (Aug. 31) Fridays of the month from 9 pm to 2 am. It’s $15 cash to play allllll the arcade games you’ve ever wanted. More.
- End of Summer Rosé Party at Kings BierHaus: Sunday, Sept. 2, noon to 8 pm. On Sundays we wear pink. Pink wine, pink decoration, pink, pink, pink. Frose and rose specials plus live music from The Others. More.
- Labor Day: Last official day of summer — lol, ok. Sure, it’ll still stay balmy in Houston for all of September, but let’s officially close out the season with a bang!
- 8 Track Throwback benefitting Camp For All at White Oak Music Hall: Friday, Sept. 7, from 7 to 10 pm. If live music from Plush Party Band, food from BB’s Cafe and an open bar aren’t enough to sell ya on the $75 charitable ticket, know that there are some bomb raffle prizes! The ultimate flashback Friday event is one you’re not going to want to miss! Check it out here!
- Joystix freeplay Friday: First (Sept. 7) and last fridays of the month from 9 pm to 2 am. It’s $15 cash to play allllll the arcade games you’ve ever wanted. More.
- Yoga with kittens: Saturday, Sept. 8, at 1 pm, at Yogaleena Yoga Studio & Boutique. A special all-levels yoga practice with tiny furry friends looking for forever homes. Come with a smile and an eagerness for adorable fun as we playfully flow through a light practice. All kittens will be adoption ready and looking for new homes to give them love. $20 tickets. More.
- Sunday Supper at The Grove: Sunday, Sept. 9. Strictly limited to 40 seats, attendees will have The Grove as a private venue to feast on a family-style offering of farm-to-table vegetables, local gulf seafood and house butchered meats. Wine-pairing options are also available. Be a part of an incredible experience sure to be one of your most cherished food memories! Learn more.
Battle Red Wine – Washington vs. California at Nice Winery: Wednesday, Sept. 12, 6 to 8 pm. The battle of two acclaimed winemaking states! This fun and educational event will be hosted by certified Winemaker and Sommelier, Ryan Levy. Meats and cheeses will be served. $69 per person. Cheers!
- Budweisers Backyard Event. Saturday, Sept 15, 11 am to 4 pm. Go on brewery tours, get pairing demos and participate in Budwieser traditions at the Budweiser Brewery in Houston. The newest Budweiser limited-release, Copper Lager, will be served too. Also enjoy live country music and of course, the Budweiser Clydesdales full hitch. Guests of all ages are welcome. Learn more.
- POST PONED: Houstonia’s Woman Up! Saturday, Sept. 15, to Sunday, Sept. 16. Speaker series and fun events all aimed at empowering women of Houston! Learn more.
- Bayou City Music Series: Saturday, Sept. 15, 6 to 10 pm at Buffalo Bayou Water Works. The Soundtrack of the Gulf” at The Water Works in Buffalo Bayou Park will feature headliner, the great Port Arthur zydeco accordionist C.J. Chenier—son of the “King of Zydeco” Clifton Chenier.
- Screwed Up Sunday at 8th Wonder Brewery: Sunday, Sept. 16, 11 am to 6 pm. Art, beer, commemorative glasses, DJs and performers (like Z-ro!) and more. Click here.
- Unplugged at Discovery Green: Sunday, Sept. 16, 5 to 9 pm. Music from some of Houston’s top talent on the Grace Event Lawn. This much loved local series challenges bands to re arrange and re-imagine songs using acoustic instruments only; resulting in unique, intimate and soulful performances. Learn more.
- The Alley’s The Mousetrap: Aug. 10 to Sept. 16. A classic whodunnit show written by Agatha Christie. A new hotel opens in England on a very snowy weekend. Five guests, two innkeepers and a policeman are snowed in with… A MURDER! This mystery — sprinkled with plenty of comic relief — is a part of The Alley’s Summer Chills series, which is one of my faves! Check it out — tickets from $29! More info, tickets and times!