October is jam-packed with loads of exciting things happening in the city of Houston. Clear your calendars and find time to make it to some of these really cool events! We plan to be making a appearance at as many of these as we can! If you happen to see one of us out and about, say hello! We love meeting other Houstonians. Plus, we’re always armed with a few #ItsNotHou koozies and love to give them out!
Love Street Light Circus
- What: I love love LOVE Buffalo Bayou and am so excited to about this event! It’s hosted by the Buffalo Bayou Partnership at the renovated Sunset Coffee Building, which used to be Houston’s most popular psychedelic club in the late 1960s. I’ve been inside the building and it’s so cool! Fabulous rooftop deck. All of the proceeds from the event will go to revitalizing and transforming Buffalo Bayou, which in case you haven’t seen has been totally decimated by the flood and in need of repair. Check out some of my pictures of the giant sand mounds on the bayou. Afterwards, there will be an after party at Moving Sidewalk.
- Where: Sunset Coffee Building at Buffalo Bayou
- When: October 19, 7pm – 10pm
- More Info: Get your tickets here!
YHHCC Fall Mixer
- What: Young Houstonians for Houston Children’s Charity is throwing an event to benefit the non-profit’s “A Better Night’s Sleep” program. There will be raffles to win things like a staycation to Hotel ZaZa, $200 to Planet Blue, $500 in jewelry and more! Plus you get to socialize with some of Houston’s top young professionals while making a difference in the lives of under-served children. The event is sponsored by the lovely Texas Mattress Makers and all proceeds will go to the charity.
- Where: Hotel ZaZa
- When: October 19, 6pm – 8pm
- More Info: Join the Facebook event!
- What: Three nights of runway shows with clothing designed by Project Runway and local Houston designers. Basically the fashion week of Houston. Fashion meets society meets shopping. A good time had by all.
- Benefitting: Rebuild Texas Fund
- Where: River Oaks District
- When: October 5, 6 and 7. Every night, in-store activities begin at 5 p.m., then general admission bars and seating is at 7, with the shows start at 8.
- More info: Tickets and more info here!
Tour de Bayou Races with HARRA
- What: The very popular (and free) Practice for the Tour de Bayou cross country series has been coordinated by HARRA in the Fall for the past several years. Four gun timed races, or stages, are held at different locations along our Bayou. Bragging rights for winners each week and overall! They are cross country (not on pavement). Distances vary from roughly three miles to five miles and are so much fun! Houston Area Road Runners Association will provide water and the ever supportive Karbach Brewing Co. will supply post race carb replacement.
- Where: Spotts Park or Memorial Park Trails
- When: Every Thursday in October at 6pm
- More Info: Join the Facebook event! Read about my trail running adventures from April
Cigna Sunday Streets
- What: The City of Houston shuts down streets in various neighborhoods to promote healthy living and lifestyles. People are encouraged to come out and bike or walk and enjoy the outdoors! They’re a lot of fun and local businesses tend to come out and set up booths with games and samples. Here’s what it looked like on Washington Ave. last year.
- Where: Various neighborhoods in Houston
- When: Sunday’s Throughout the Fall 12pm – 4pm
- More info: City of Houston website
Montrose Studios Confetti Room
- What: The Montrose Studios is a new photography space that’s opened up in Montrose. You can rent the space for a set amount of time for photoshoots. They also have a series of cool installations–like the Confetti Room–for fun interactive experiences!
- Where: 1604 West Alabama
- When: Confetti Room is set up until October 14
- More Info: Montrose Studios Facebook Page or Viva Edit Website
Because we are overachievers and October has a LOT of events to go to:
Gather ye round for Texas Renaissance Festival. Now til Nov. 26.
The Astros are in the playoffs — THEY. COULD. GO. ALL. THE. WAY. Here’s where to watch when you can’t get tickets to the game.
You look like you need some Greek wine. The Original Greek Festival is Oct. 5-8.
Pedal for Pink at Memorial City Mall on Oct. 18. Good for you; for a good cause. Get tickets here.
Less fright and more fashion this Friday the 13th at MFAH’s Mixed Media.
Check out what Oktoberfest events are going on this month.
Namaste with some free yoga in Levy Park. Whole Lotta Yoga is Oct. 7!
Coogs play 4 games this month — here’s where and how to watch
Forget trick or treating, and bring your pup to this spooky Bayou City Outdoors walk on Halloween night.
Kick off the MS150 with BCO on Oct. 17 with bites and networking.
Looking for some artwork? Bayou City Arts Festival on Oct 14-15.
Let’s taco ’bout this magical place called Tacolandia on Oct. 21.
Pingback: Everything You Need to Know about a Visit the Balloon Room at the Revaire | It's Not Hou It's Me | Houston Lifestyle, Food and Culture Blog