Note: ESSC announced a short intermission on their Instagram. Original story seen below!
Summer is in swing and the new, edgy El Segundo Swim Club has opened up in the East End. At first glance, the El Segundo Swim Club has a Miami pool meets Palm Springs flare with a very distinctly Houston vibe. Only in Houston would there would be a trendy af pool club in the Second Ward with curated cocktail list and shopping container chic cabanas. Here are 10 things to know about El Segundo Swim Club that I’m sure is to become a hot (literally, and figuratively) summer destination.
Everything You Need to Know about El Segundo Swim Club
- El Segundo is located in the East End. Getting it’s name from the fact that it’s located in the Second Ward, the pool is blocks away from Ninfa’s on Navigation. Exact address is: 5180 Avenue L, Houston, TX 77011. It’s located in an industrial-ish neighborhood (we drove over some gravel to get here) but there’s decent street parking.
- Pool is open Friday – Sunday. They’re is still doing soft openings (they first opened 4th of July week) so hours have not been completely finalized yet. Follow @elsegundoswimclub on Instagram for the latest news. This weekend they’re open from Friday 4-sunset, Saturday from 11-sunset and Sunday from 12-sunset. Once they finish building out the rest of the club (including open air bathrooms) they’ll have a full grand opening event.
- Day passes are available for $20 with free day passes for an after work happy hour on Fridays. You can get passes on Eventbrite or buy them at the door. They also just launched Season Passes for $100.
- You gotta be 21+ plus to go. This ain’t your neighborhood swim meet pool. This is Sunday Funday competition for Cle.
- The cocktail menu is lit. Curated by Chris Frankel, El Segundo Swim Club has three featured cocktails currently available by the pitcher (love pitchers): The Paloma with tequila (MY FAV), Aperol, grapefruit juice and lime; The Amor Prohibido with vodka, lemon, raspberry and coconut water; and The Miraflores with gin, Pimms, watermelon juice and lime. Beer, house wine, and a fully stocked bar is also available.
- They provide towels. Kinda like a posh hotel pool. You can also bring pool floats (no tacky foam noodles though).
- At the moment, no food is available. For the time being, you can bring your own in but I anticipate them coordinating food trucks in the near future.
- DJs play on weekends! Music vibes can be described as “chill summer indie.”On Saturday this weekend, @dayta is scheduled to play from 3:30pm-7:30pm.
- The Swim Club was designed by the woman behind Axelrad and Public Services! Gin Braverman of Gin Design Group is clearly a legend and even designed the backstage lounges at White Oak Music Hall. Intended vibe is “nostalgic LA pool party” which you get from the oversaturated colors, waving palm leaves, surfboard art, Brazilian beach vibes and 1,350 sq foot pool.
- Cabañas are currently first come first serve. Just more motivation to get out to the East End sooner rather than later to claim dibs on one of the two shipping-container-turned-oasis spots. That rule might be changing in the future as the owners finalize decisions and roll out of the soft opening phase.
Who else is excited to grab their swim suit and head over to El Segundo Swim Club? Comment below with any questions or tips you want to share!