8/29/19 Update: El Segundo Swim Club is back! For one weekend only? TBD. This glam outdoor pool lounge is EaDo opened last summer with a bang and then mysteriously fell off the radar due to permitting issues. But with an announcement on the El Segundo Swim Club Instagram the pool is open again for Labor Day weekend. I expect it should be quite the destination. Read on for details based on our experience at the pool for the one weekend they were open last year in 2018. Who knows if it will be the same. If you’re interested, get your tickets sooner rather than later in case they sell out!
Summer is in swing. The new, edgy El Segundo Swim Club has opened up in the East End. At first glance, the El Segundo Swim Club has a Miami pool meets Palm Springs flare with a distinctly Houston vibe. Only in Houston would there would be a trendy af pool club in the Second Ward with curated cocktail list and shopping container chic cabanas. Here are 10 things to know about El Segundo Swim Club that I’m sure is to become a hot (literally, and figuratively) summer destination. Check out their website.
Everything You Need to Know about El Segundo Swim Club
- El Segundo is located in the East End. Named after the Second Ward, the pool is blocks away from Ninfa’s on Navigation. Exact address is: 5180 Avenue L, Houston, TX 77011. It’s located in an industrial-ish neighborhood (we drove over some gravel). There is decent street parking.
- Pool is open Friday – Sunday. They’re is still doing soft openings (they first opened 4th of July week in 2018) so hours have not been completely finalized yet. Follow @elsegundoswimclub on Instagram for the latest news. They’re open one weekend at a time — with special hours for Labor Day 2019.
- Day passes are available for $20 with free day passes for an after work happy hour on Fridays. You can get passes on Eventbrite.
- You gotta be 21+ plus to go. This ain’t your neighborhood swim meet pool. This is Sunday Funday competition for Cle.
- The cocktail menu is lit. Curated by Chris Frankel, El Segundo Swim Club has three featured cocktails currently available by the pitcher (love pitchers): The Paloma with tequila (MY FAV), Aperol, grapefruit juice and lime; The Amor Prohibido with vodka, lemon, raspberry and coconut water; and The Miraflores with gin, Pimms, watermelon juice and lime. Beer, house wine, and a fully stocked bar is also available.
- They provide towels. Kinda like a posh hotel pool. You can also bring pool floats (no tacky foam noodles though).
- At the moment, no food is available. For the time being, you can bring your own in but I anticipate them coordinating food trucks in the near future.
- DJs play on weekends! Music vibes can be described as “chill summer indie.” They’ll have rotating DJs each weekend.
- The woman behind Axelrad and Public Services designed the swim club! Gin Braverman of Gin Design Group is clearly a legend and even designed the backstage lounges at White Oak Music Hall. Intended vibe is “nostalgic LA pool party” which you get from the oversaturated colors, waving palm leaves, surfboard art, Brazilian beach vibes and 1,350 sq foot pool.
- Cabañas are currently first come first serve. Just more motivation to get out to the East End sooner rather than later to claim dibs on one of the two shipping-container-turned-oasis spots. That rule might be changing in the future as the owners finalize decisions and roll out of the soft opening phase.
Who else is excited to grab their swim suit and head over to El Segundo Swim Club? Comment below with any questions or tips you want to share!
PS Awesome pool swag and Houston hat linked here on Amazon!
It’s a lot of fun and not pretentious at all.
It needs to open again!!!
FUCKING YUPPIES GET OUT OF 2ND WARD
Awesome article, and the images are beautiful. Thanks for sharing this to us.