Now that we’ve all survived 4th of July, let’s talk about the rest of July, which includes SPACE CITY MONTH celebrating the fiftieth anniversary of the lunar landing from the Apollo 11 mission. For all things space celebration, click here!
I’ve marked the events I plan on attending with an * so if you go, find me for a #It’sNotHouzie! We have just a few more weeks left of the contest — click here to learn more.
- *The Gold Lion Barbershop Presented by Modelo Negra: Thursday, July 18, to Saturday, July 20. Completely free to attend — just RSVP! — the Gold Lion Barbershop is popping up in Montrose! Local art, beer, bits, and so much more. SURPRISES AWAIT.
- Cadillac Bar’s Viva El Tequila Festival: Thursday, July 18, from 7-10 pm. Whether you shoot it, freeze it in a marg, or put it on the rocks, tequila fans unite for this epic event! Tons of tequila partners are joining forces under the Cadillac Bar roof to enjoy the nectar of the gods that is TEQUILA! Oh, and there will be tacos, if you weren’t sold already. Tickets are $50 in advance and $60 at the door. SALT, SIP, LIME, REPEAT.
- Silent Disco at the Houston Zoo: Thursday, July 18, from 6-10 pm. Party with the animals at this adult-only shindig. It’s $35 per person and will probably sell out. Get those tickets! LIONS TIGERS BEERS, OH MY.
- Khalid & Clario at the Toyota Center: Thursday, July 18, at 6:30 pm. Who’s ready to be serenaded by Khalid?! *heart-eye emoji* FREE SPIRITS ONLY.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix™ In Concert: Friday, July 19, at 7:30 pm OR Saturday, July 20, at 2:30 or 7:30 pm, at the Houston Symphony. See Harry and his friends race through the Department of Mysteries, practice Defense Against the Dark Arts in secret, and endure Professor Umbridge—all with Nicholas Hooper’s iconic score! MUGGLES UNITE.
- A Grand Tour of the Moon with David Kring & WindSync: Saturday, July 20. Tour the Moon inside HMNS with space exploration scientist Dr. David Kring of the Lunar and Planetary Institute as your guide. MOON TUNES.
- Treehouse happy hour at The Grove: Saturday, July 20, from 4 to 7 pm. Happy hour on a Saturday? Sold. Enjoy the private event space, drink and food specials, and dining among the trees of Discovery Green. CHEERS.
- *50th Anniversary of the Moon Landing at Space Center Houston: Saturday, July 20. Catch Walk the Moon and Phillip Phillips at this out-f-this-world concert. SHUT UP AND DANCE.
- The Relay Live Podcast Launch: Sunday, July 21, from 7 to 10 pm, at Cafeza. Join the team as they (re)launch The Relay with all new hosts and an all new format. There’ll be a live Q&A with Secunda Joseph and the whole Project Curate crew. NOW STREAMING.
- Icons of Style: A Century of Fashion Photography: Sunday, June 23, through Sept. 22. at the Museum of Fine Arts Houston. More than 200 photographs by famous practitioners and lesser-known, yet influential artists present a broad and diverse perspective on fashion photography and its trajectory from niche industry to powerful cultural force. The exhibition surveys the gradual recognition of fashion photography as an art form. WEARABLE ART.
- The #ItsNotHouzie Contest Begins! Saturday, June 1, to July 31. SHOW US YOUR SUMMER! Over 10 prizes valued at $50 and up are on the line! #ItsNotHouzie
- Third Thursday Bingo Nights at Market Square Park: Every 3rd Thursday from May to October. Do you feel lucky, punk? DO YOU?
- Joystix freeplay Friday: First and last Fridays of the month from 9 pm to 2 am. It’s $15 cash to play allllll the arcade games you’ve ever wanted. More.
Later this month
- Cultured Cocktails Happy Hour benefitting Rothko Chapel: Thursday, July 25 from 5 to 8 pm at Bar Boheme. Since 2008, Cultured Cocktails presented by Fresh Arts has raised over $115,000 for the Houston arts community! Join the Rothko Chapel staff and volunteers for drinks and conversation at Bar Boheme‘s happy hour and 10% of the proceeds from all drink sales will go to support the Rothko Chapel. CHEERS.
- *Pack Your Bag Challenge with Great Day Houston: Friday, July 26, at 8:45 am. Are you feeling lucky, punk? We’re hosting another Pack Your Bag Houston challenge for a giveaway to the Hyatt Regency Houston in Downtown! Win the prize or get to be on TV and walk away with a #ItsNotHouzie! We’ve got all the deets on our FB event. PYBC HOU!
- Beck, Cage The Elephant, Spoon, and Wild Belle concert: Sunday, July 28, at 4:30 pm, at the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion. This is like a mini music festival!! ROCK ON.
- Craft Pita Popup at Decatur: Sunday, July 28. This new eatery is popping up pre opening! Catch some Mediterranean bites while you can! PITA PITA.
- Free Movie Night at Axelrad: Monday, July 29, circa 8:45 pm. Catch the ultimate cure for the Mondays — Office Space — at one of our favorite bars in midtown! GET THE MEMO?
- Thirty Pop Live – 30 Years of Saved By The Bell: Wednesday, July 31, at 7 pm at Cafeza. Join Luke Brawner and special guests Nate Williams, Rebecca Allen & Zachary McKenzie for a live episode looking back at the 1989 debut of Saved By The Bell! YOU GOT THIS, PREPPY.
- The Suffers at The Secret Group: Wednesday, July 31, at 8 pm. Support Houston’s very own soul group at this $20 show! Doors open at 7. MAKE SOME ROOM.
Darn, missed these:
- A Night of Family Stargazing at HMNS: Friday, July 12, from 7 to 10:30 pm. Celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 lunar landing, and marvel at the night sky from the 7th floor of our parking garage. SEEING STARS.
- 713 Day: Saturday, July 13. This unofficial holiday for Houston takes place on a Saturday this year! Honor Houston in some way on this special day! HTOWN REPPIN.
- Nitrogen Ice Cream Day at Eureka Heights: Saturday, July 13, 10 am to 3 pm. The Freezing Point has been scooping up ice cream for the past 4 years at private parties. Now Eureka Heights wants to throw its own ice cream bash and you’re invited! ICE CREAM BABY.
- Free Breakfast Taco Party at Superica: Saturday, July 13, 10 am to noon. Superica, Chef Ford Fry’s lauded restaurant in heart of The Heights, known for modern twists on authentic Tex-Mex favorites. Chef Ford Fry runs more than 16 restaurants across the States, and just published a cookbook of the innovative Tex-Mex recipes that made him famous. WHAT I’M TACO-ING ABOUT
- The Market at Sawyer Yards: Saturday, July 13, at 6 pm. Shop after sunset! Support local brands with a drink in hand. SHOP LOCAL.
- *Kendra Scott + Yoga + Sunday Riley: Sunday, July 14, 10 am to noon at Kendra Scott Rice Village. Namaste with Revolution River Oaks, snack on healthy bites, shop some Sunday Riley and Kendra Scott, and make some new friends. SUNDAY FUNDAY.
- The Head and the Heart & Hippo Campus Concert: Saturday, July 13, at White Oak Music Hall. Doors open at 7 pm for this show! ALT YOU SO EXCITED?
- Tex-Mex BBQ Block Party 2019: Sunday, July 14, 1 to 4 pm, at Saint Arnold Brewery. The Houston Barbecue Festival and Saint Arnold Brewing Company announce the inaugural Tex-Mex BBQ Block Party to celebrate the growing influence of Tejano and Tex-Mex cooking traditions in contemporary Central Texas-style craft barbecue. BEER AND FOOD FUSION.
Did we miss something?
Let us know in the comments events this month that we need to know about! And check back later for more goings on!
Heads up: Some of these events might be sponsored, but, as always, our opinions and recommendations are completely our own!