Happy new decade! New year, new dozens of events and goings on in town! From concerts from Houston-based performers to murder mystery dinner,s we’ve got tons to do this month.
PS. Where my Dry January people at? Some of these things below might not be your cup of tea this month (because tea — and the occasional sparkling water — is pretty much all we’re drinking, am I right?) Anyways, FULL GUIDE for things to do sans booze — click here!
Rest of the month
- Sleuths & Secrets Mystery Night at HMNS: Tuesday, January 21, from 6 to 8:30 pm. Ready to crack the case? Join a team to untangle a web of clues, evidence and history to unlock a series of riddles and mysterious objects in the Cabinet of Curiosities, one of the most curious exhibitions at HMNS. MYSTERIOUS.
- Friends of Periwinkle – 8th Annual Hops & Hot Tamales: Thursday, January 23, from 6 to 9 pm, at Saint Arnold Brewing Company. Join the Friends of Periwinkle for an evening of Saint Arnold beer, root beer, tamales catered by Texas Tamale Company, and receive updates on Periwinkle programs! TAMALE TIME.
- 2020 Houston Women’s March: Saturday, January 25, at 9 am in Elenor Tinsley Park. Join us as we March from the Water Works/Cistern to Eleanor Tinsley Park. This year we are celebrating the powerful collaborations we have forged as we fight for our progressive values. WOMEN UNITE.
- Drag Diva Brunch – THE MAGIC QUEENDOM: Saturday, January 25, at 10:30 am at the House of Blues. The rise of Disney+ has unlocked the nostalgia in everyone — including House of Blues’ drag queens! This buffet brunch show begins at noon and is $46 per person. Bring your ones! GO GIRLS.
- 2nd Annual Gumbo Cook-Off at Cedar Creek Bar & Grill: Saturday, January 25, from 1 to 8 pm. It’s the rumble of the roux! Find out whose will reign supreme at the 2nd Annual Cedar Creek Gumbo Cook-Off benefiting Summerhouse Houston! A $10 wristband allows access for tasting from Houston’s top teams from local favorite beer & spirit vendors, neighborhood bars & restaurants along with pro teams. GUM-GO.
- 2020 Truffle Masters: Monday, January 27, at 7 pm at the new C. Baldwin, Curio Collection by Hilton. Catch 26 of the city’s most recognized chefs to compete for the top dish all in an effort to raise funds for Second Servings of Houston. Tickets are $195. YUM.
- Jewelry Sale at Select Jewelers: Valentine’s Day is just around the corner and this iconic Houston jeweler is closing its doors after 20+ years of business. Catch some incredible sales on fine jewelry up to 80% off! Sparkle & shine.
- The Ice at Discovery Green: Open daily through January. There’s something pretty special about ice skating OUTSIDE (!!) and with the backdrop of downtown! More here.
- Heights Morning Market: Every Sunday from 10 am to 2 pm in the Heights! SHOP TIL YOU DROP!
- Joystix freeplay Friday: First and last Fridays of the month from 9 pm to 2 am. It’s $15 cash to play allllll the arcade games you’ve ever wanted. More.
Darn, missed these!
- Jeni’s Houston Heights Grand Opening Party: Thursday, January 9, 7 pm to 11 pm. Welcome to the neighborhood — free ice cream and a swag bag for the first 50 people in line. ICE CREAM.
- Murder Mystery Dinner at Bungalow Heights: Thursday, January 9, 7:30 pm. Set in 1930’s Old Hollywood, you will be charged with solving a horrific murder while enjoying the live actor and a 4 course meal designed by Chef Andrew! Each course will have a murderous or era inspired theme to it as well as being paired with a delicious cocktail or wine. This 2 hour show is both a stellar date night idea and a fun laid back way to meet new people! WHO DUNNIT?
- Sweatwork 2020 Vision and Goals: Friday, January 10, at 6:30 pm at Big Yoga Memorial. Start the new decade STRONG! Yoga class followed by a dynamic vision & goals workshop focusing on self-discovery and short & long-term goal planning. Tickets are $75 and include amazing gifts and swag ($250 value) from your favorite Fitness, Health & Wellness spots in Houston, including free classes to Barry’s Bootcamp, SoulCycle, and Fyre Fitness. NAMASTE.
- Dressember Pilates & Flow: Friday, January 10, at 7 pm at The Atrium Yoga Studios. Join Courtney Lindsay, co-owner of Control Studios and Jen & Madonna, co-owners of The Atrium for a fun and functional Friday evening to support the Dressember Foundation. Half classical Pilates mat work + half flow, you’ll float out of here feeling connected to your center and light in your heart all while supporting the good will and good work of the Dressember Foundation. All donations support the Foundation. Dressember is a community of international advocates utilizing fashion + creativity to help end human trafficking. Suggested donation $20. Cash encouraged & appreciated. ZEN FOR A CAUSE.
- Rainbow on Ice: Friday, January 10, in Discovery Green. The 9th annual LGBTQ celebration will feature music by DJ Joe Ross, H-Town’s R&B Princess JaeRene, electrifying drag performances such as Blackberri as Lizzo, and a fashion show with designs by Yahaira DeHill. SHOWTIME.
- The Sale: Saturday, January 11, and Sunday, January 12. Shopping — but for a cause! Two days of amazing deals from over 50 Houston boutiques. Proceeds go to pediatric cancer research. SHOP.
- Houston Texans vs. Kansas City Chiefs: Sunday, January 12, at 2 pm. We made it to the playoffs! Did we expect that?? Probably not, but hey! Let’s band together to watch this high-stakes game. Here’s where to watch a Texans game.
- National Championship — LSU vs. Clemson: Monday, January 13, at 7 pm. Watch the showdown at one of our favorite Houston bars. Click here to check out the list.
- Big Freedia & The Suffers: Friday, January 17, at 7:30 pm at House of Blues. TUNE IN.
- Brunch Bash with Dress for Success Houston: Saturday, January 18, from 9:30 am to 12:30 pm. Enjoy brunch bites and beverages from culinary concepts: Alonti Catering Kitchen EggHaus Gourmet Earthcraft Juicery The Hay Merchant Hungry’s Monkey’s Tail Nothing Bundt Cakes Picos Restaurant River Oaks Donuts and beats by DJ London Houston. CHEERS.
- Beers & Art at Saint Arnold Brewing Co: Saturday, January 18, from 11 am to 4 pm. Shop local artists’ works with a beer in hand. LE ARTE.
- The Wizards Beer Festival: Saturday, January 18, from 6:30 to 10 pm, at the Ballroom at Bayou Place. The Grand Hall will host tastings of over twenty magical beers, ciders, and wines. Our student guests can explore and drink their way through the Lair of Secret Cider and Potions as well as the Boozy Cauldron Tavern, known for their Adult Butterscotch Beer and other delectable drinks. MAGIC.
- Houston Marathon & Half Marathon: Sunday January 19, Cheer on over 27,000 runners in Houston’s largest athletic event of the year. Wake up early and find a spot on the race course to see some incredible athletes.
- Runner’s Recovery Party with Outdoor Voices: Sunday, January 19 Join Team OV at Four Seasons Spa for some rest and relaxation after you cross the finish line. Enjoy mini cryo and compression therapy treatments from Restore, mini massages from Four Seasons Spa and a rehydration station. RSVP.
- A Night With Z-Ro Birthday Celebration & Concert: Sunday, January 19, at 7 pm at House of Blues. The Mo City Don man himself. Tickets start at $35. HBD.