For actual years, I’ve heard about the famed Crystal Lagoon that was planned to a Houston suburban master-planned community. It’s a huge lagoon — for kayaking, SUP-boarding, even jet skis! — meets a neighborhood pool.
Currently, the area is building a whole lotta houses in Texas City. But this summer, non-residents can pay for a day pass as a part of their Summer Lagoonfest. Get your tickets now until September 13.
Interested in checking it out? Here’s what you need to know.
- It’s…. not finished. Not sure what all is left to do, but other than the monster-sizes pool, it definitely has some temporary vibes. Expect tents (no buildings) and those flushable, A/C port-o-potties.
- It’s a beach with actual sand! Vacay vibes all the way.
- It’s taking COVID-19 prevention v seriously. Temperature checks, mandatory masks, hand sanitizer stands, etc. PLEASE don’t go if you’ve been exposed — and please take the rules seriously. Don’t ruin a fun thing!
- Parking is free with a ticket — and it should be since tickets are quite pricey on their own. Weekday tickets (Thurs-Fri) are $23.74 and weekends are $28.90 for adults. Children are slightly cheaper.
- You have to book amenities and activities ahead too, but good luck with that. They are sold out a lot of the days. We booked lounge chairs, which was awesome to have but ended up being unnecessary. It was nice to have the umbrella, but a lot of people brought their own chairs (it’s allowed!) so bring a towel and plop down or your own chair!
- Apparently chairs are basically the only thing you can bring in. No coolers or outside food is allowed, according to the FAQ section. However, I could have easily snuck in some snacks and I definitely saw people with their own tumblers of… something. I brought in a water bottle which they allowed.
- There are food trucks, but I highly recommend coming well fed. The lines for the trucks never got short enough to even consider standing in the sun for.
- Now, this brings me to my biggest concern… there was no alcohol sold on site. I have no clue if this is a permanent thing.. but… holy smokes. I just wanted a White Claw while basking in the sun.
That’s my two cents — if you have any other questions, check Lago Mar’s FAQ section.