Woohoo! May is always a great month for Houston. It’s before the weather gets ridiculously hot, but it’s usually pretty sunny and nice and filled with fun outdoors events! Plus there’s the derby and Cinco de Mayo and then… summer!
Rest of the month
- A R I Z O N A at the House of Blues. Tuesday, May 21, at 7 pm. FREAKING OUT.
- A Texas Sized Welcome featuring Levi Goode and Troy Guard: Wednesday, May 22, at 6:30 pm. Live country music and food and drinks! MEAT AND GREET.
- Twilight Tour at Rienzi: Wednesday, May 22, at 6 pm. Wine, music, and mingling around the gardens and historic home of the MFAH’s Rienzi property. ART NIGHT.
- Party on the Plaza: Thursday, May 23, at 6 pm. Drinks, bites, music — all for free and on the plaza of Avenida Houston outside George R Brown. PLAZA PARTY.
- CAJUN AF. Saturday, May 25, at Capital Bar Midtown. Huge boil — crawfish, shrimp, and so much more. SHELL YES.
- “Constellations” at the Alley Theatre: Friday, May 3, to June 2. Science and romance collide in this spellbinding play that imagines what happens when boy meets girl. HEART EYES EMOJI!
- Rose all day at The Rustic: Sundays. $5 froses and live music! CHILL OUT.
- Third Thursday Bingo Nights at Market Square Park: Every 3rd Thursday from May to October. Do you feel lucky, punk? DO YOU?
Darn, missed these.
- “Crazy Stupid Love” free showing: Wednesday, May 1, 6:30 pm, at Human HQ (1404 Allston St.) LOVE this movie — plus mix and mingle with some fellow houstonians. MOVIE NIGHT.
- DASH Market 2019: Thursday, May 2, to Sunday, May 5, at Silver Street Studios. A full weekend of shopping super cool craftsmen and boutiques. Tickets range from $5 happy hour prices to $25 pre-party. SHOP TIL YOU DROP.
Swipe Right: Speed Dating For Home Buyers. Saturday, May 4, 11 am to 2 pm, at 13621 Teal Bluff Lane. Grab a beer and a bite of something yummy as expert realtors with Compass Real Estate literally walk you through each step of the home buying process. Visit vendor booths hosted by industry professionals, answering every question you’ve ever had, and ones you didn’t know you had. GO HOME.
- Forth and Nomad Grand Opening: Saturday, May 4, 10 am to 7 pm. Forth and Nomad is expanding and has outgrown its 650 square feet over the last year and a half. On May 4th F+N will officially have 4,068 square feet to call home. BIGGER AND BETTER.
- Celebr8ion of Babes – HTX Boss Babes Spring Fest: Saturday, May 4, 11 am to 5 pm at 8th Wonder Brewery. Celebrate the female allstars at this networking event. GIRL POWER.
- Crew Fitness Grand Opening: Saturday, May 4, noon to 4 pm. Row, celebrate, repeat. LET’S ROW. PS, do you know Crew? Allow me to introduce you.
- B.B. Lemon’s Kentucky Derby Patio Party: Saturday, May 4, 2 to 6 pm. Enjoy tunes by DJ Ramalama, a Derby-inspired menu with cocktails by Elijah Craig, a hat contest with prizes, yard games plus a few surprises. Plus, watch the race on 2 outdoor TVs and 2 indoor TVs. RACE TIME.
- 5th Annual Julep Derby Day: Saturday, May 4, noon to 7 pm. Whiskey tasting, Topo Chico, and tons of fancy hats. HATS OFF.
- 2nd Annual Generation Park Block Party at Redemption Square: Saturday, May 4. Free concert and free fun at this free event. IT’S FREE.
- Cinco de Mayo deals at Finn Hall: Saturday, May 4, to Sunday, May 5. Enjoy specials on margaritas, Palomas, Mexican beers and a featured menu with special Cinco de Mayo items. WEEKEND PARTY.
- Bodied & Brunch-Cinco de Mayo Session 1: Sunday, May 5, noon or 1:15 pm at LJ Performance Training. Workout followed by healthy Tex-Mex (it can be done!!). FIT THEN FEAST.
- Cinco de Mayo Yoga Challenge: Sunday, May 5, at 9 am. Juice from earthcraft and yoga at The Atrium. NAMASTE.
- Cinco de Mayo at Discovery Green: Sunday, May 5, Celebrate Mexican culture and heritage with a lineup of live music and traditional dance. PARK PARTY.
- Cinco de Mayo at Cadillac Bar: Sunday, May 5, 4 pm to midnight. Hold on to your sombreros! Cadillac Bar is hosting its famed Cinco de Mayo celebration and you’re invited to the fiesta. VAMOS.
- Cinco de Mayo at Cyclone’s. Sunday, May 5, at participating locations. Margaritas, anyone? CHEERS.
- Beer 101 at Eureka Heights: Tuesday, May 7, from 6:30 to 8 pm. Basic knowledge of beer: check. Drinking beer: check. HOPS ON IT.
- Comicpalooza: Friday, May 10, to Sunday, May 12, at George R. Brown Convention Center. A few choice GoT people will be there, psa. NERD OUT.
- Party Like Gatsby: Friday, May 10, 9 pm to 2 am, at Warehouse Live. Grab your old flapper girl costume and let’s drink some strong, tiny drinks. OLD SPORT.
- Market Square Park Summer Concert. Friday, May 10. The Austin soul funk band Tomar and the FCsheadline with an opening set of psychedelic soul, rock and roll and African rhythms by Kalu and the Electric Joint. FREE MUSIC.
- Source Vital’s 30th Anniversary. Friday, May 10, and Saturday, May 11, during normal business hours. Shop the store with 30 percent off, sip champagne, and eat ice cream in honor of 30 years in the biz for this natural product line. HBD!!
- Houston Scavenger Hunt. Saturday, May 11, 10 am to 4 pm. Grab your team and meet ya in EaDo. LET’S GO.
- 6th Annual Houston Whiskey Festival: Saturday, May 11, 6 to 10 pm, at the Ballroom at Bayou Place. Sniff, sip, taste, repeat. WHISKYAY.
- Brunch on the Green this Mother’s Day: Sunday, May 12. Live music from The Kinder HSPVA, savory brunch favorites, a build-your-own breakfast taco bar, meat-carving stations, and house-made pastries and desserts. Specialty cocktails including mimosas, sangria and mojitos are available for $15 with one cent refills. Brunch is $35 per person, $15 for children aged 2-12. BRUNCH ON.
- Mother’s Day Brunch at Dandelion Cafe: Sunday, May 12. $2 mimosas and sangrias. What a way to thank mom. MIMOYASS.
- Twilight Tour at Rienzi: Wednesday, May 15, at 6 pm. Wine, music, and mingling around the gardens and historic home of the MFAH’s Rienzi property. ART NIGHT.
- New Kids On The Block at the Toyota Center. Wednesday, May 15. Opening acts are: Salt-n-Pepa, Naughty by Nature, Tiffany, Debbie Gibson. STEP BY STEP.
- WIN A STAYCATION (or just get a koozie!): Thursday, May 16, at 8:45 am. We’ve teamed up again this year with the Pack Your Bags Challenge to giveaway a staycation! And, if you don’t win, you still get to hang with us on TV and walk away with a It’s Not Houzie! LET’S GO!
- Shinyribs Concert Public Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Fundraiser: Thursday, May 16, 6 to 11 pm at Rockefellers. Texas band, great cause. Need we say more? DO GOOD.
- Crawl of Thrones Pub Crawl in Downtown Houston: Saturday, May 18. Drink and know things with fellow GOT fans. TEAM ARYA.
- ZZ Top at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion: Saturday, May 18. Celebrate 50 years of ZZ Top! Also with: Bad Company and Cheap Trick. YEZZ!
- Tacos Over Texas: Sunday, May 19, noon to 4 pm, at the Original Ninfa’s on Navigation. Tickets are $40 and come with unlimited tacos + 2 drink tickets. ($200 VIP gets you open bar and early access). TACO PARTY!
- Love Street Music Fest: Sunday, May 19, 1 to 10 pm. Another year, another amazing line up for Karbach’s Love Street Music Fest. Walk the Moon, Bishop Briggs, Toadies, lovelytheband, Wrestlers, slenderbodies, and VODI. BREW AND TUNES.
- Ariana Grande with Normani and Social House at the Toyota Center. Sunday, May 19, at 7:30 pm.You want it, you bought it. GEE THANKS.